The National Orphan Train Complex, Inc. Annual Meeting will be held January 20, 2015 at 5:15 pm. This meeting is open to the public.
More information to follow.
The Museum and Research Center are dedicated to the preservation of the stories and artifacts of those who were part of the Orphan Train Movement from 1854-1929.
The mission of the National Orphan Train Complex is to collect, preserve, interpret,
and disseminate knowledge about the orphan trains, and the children and agents
who rode them. The museum’s collections, exhibitions, programming and research
will engage riders, researchers, and the general public and create an awareness of
the Orphan Train Movement.
Opening Reception has been postponed until a later date due to weather.
The Ledgers: The American Female Society Collection
Shaley George, Curator of the National Orphan Train Complex in Concordia, Kan. will unveil the newest exhibit at the museum on February 28. The public is welcome to attend this event, enjoy refreshments, and tour the museum from 1 to 3 pm.
From approximately 1834 to 1960 the American Female Guardian Society functioned as an all-female organization that hoped to improve the morals of New York City’s underprivileged women. Beginning with the organizers bringing children and adolescents into their own homes for care and nurturing, by 1895 it operated twelve schools. Located in mid-town New York City, the orphanage operated by the AFGS was called the Home of the Friendless.
The new exhibit will display Mothers’ Books which contain surrender information, entrance records, and history volumes that record updates after children were taken in. The information contained in the entrance records was required by law in the state of New York. The AFGS worked with other organizations in the New York area, including the Children’s Aid Society, utilizing rail transportation to place out children.
The entire collection of 100 ledgers, including bi-monthly newsletters from the AFGS, was donated to the National Orphan Train Complex by Mr. Tom Riley of New York. The records had been stored in a rural area after the dissolution of the AFGS in the 1970’s.